What are midlife crises?
Do you or your loved one feel that life is already half passed. The realization can be very overwhelming that life is progressing rapidly. During midlife, people often consider issues such as loss of energy, mortality, their legacy, and their sense of accomplishment and physical inadequacy. Divorce, changing of profession, death of a parent or loved one, feeling fatigue or not young enough is very common traumatic experiences.
Midlife crisis is not a mental health issue, but may bring traumatic experiences like
- Seeking an affair
- Need to feel desired
- Want to do activities that we did during teenage years
- Liking towards young age companion
- A desire for happier life alone or with another companion
- Not feeling attractive or desired
- Blaming partner for not having life as per what has planned
- Self doubt on one’s capabilities like, whether or not one is able to provide to the family or not
How can counselling help?
Counselling can help people experiencing a midlife crisis in following ways
- Improve their relationships with others.
- Decide whether to stay in their marriage.
- Talk about the disappointments and challenges they’ve faced in life.
- Decide what they want the future to look like.
- Find meaning in life’s changes.
- Identify new goals.
- Regain a sense of control over life.
- Establish better relationships with adult children.